Football Club Men have been kicking a ball between each other for many centuries but there is no evidence of a club until the beginning of the 20th century, when football and cricket were played in a field in Nash Road. After the Second World War, football took place on the airfield.
Early Great Horwood footballers, date unknown.
Joe Hanson provided a piece of land along Bletchley Road in 1966 for the Football Club to be formed. Teams had to change at the Crown with two tin baths for washing. Goal posts were erected on the pitch for each match and the cow pats cleared. The club joined the Aylesbury and District League and in 1969 started playing in the Milton Keynes Sunday League.
In 1973 the Poors Allotment Charity Trustees agreed to let the Club use part of the Castlefield allotment in Nash Road and work began to erect a wooden pavilion. This was replaced in 1994 by a brick building built by members and some village supporters. The Annual Football Club Funday now marks the opening of this new facility.
The Club joined the North Bucks and District Football League in 1992. 2012 was a particularly successful year for Great Horwood's footballers, winning the Intermediate Division in with an unbeaten run and making this a double celebration by winning the Intermediate Division Trophy.
Great Horwood Football Club’s Double winning team, 2011-12.Back (l to r): Dale Armitage, Ian McStraw, Eddie Archer, Joe Cooper, Keiran McCabe, Jake Hilliard,
Andy Brunning, Terry Archer, Adam Dixon, Lee Thompson. Front (l to r): Damien Rumble, Darren Sirett, Chris McStraw, Terry Cronin, Sam Archer.
The Club has developed over the years, expanding in 2004 with a junior section, and now hosts two adult teams, a veteran’s team and several junior teams.
In 2016, Great Horwood Football Club celebrated its 50th anniversary with a special football match featuring past and present players and a hog roast and party on The Green.
There are some photos of historic Great Horwood teams and information about today's teams and events on the football club's website: www.greathorwoodfc.co.uk/
Cricket Club On most summer weekends a pleasant afternoon awaits you if you walk up Nash Road, along the Ernie Ridgway Path: that quintessential English scene – a cricket match. Cricket has been played here for many years, the earliest being referenced in June 1853 in the Northampton Mercury. It seems that ladies enjoyed playing the game too for there is mention in 1874 in the Northampton Mercury of a ‘novel’ match between the ladies of Great Horwood and Nash.
Early Great Horwood cricketers c.1910
The present club was formed around 1950 with matches being played on the other side of the roundabout nearer Nash before moving to its current site in 1962. Changing facilities were added in 1964, consisting of the old Waiting Room from the now closed Swanbourne railway station. The Club began by playing friendly fixtures with the first recorded cup success, the Loyal Western Lodge Cup, in 1964. A photograph of the successful team still hangs in the pavilion.
League cricket began in the early 1980s with the Club finally gaining promotion to the Premier Division after winning Division 1 in 1986, a season which also saw the Club achieving the Double by winning the Stewkley Cup. The pinnacle of success in this league came in 1992 when they won the Premier League and Stewkley thus again achieving the Double. By now the Club was also playing in the Buckingham & District Midweek League and fielding a Sunday XI. A Ladies team was also playing occasional games from the 1970s and, in the late 1980s, became a founder member of the Milton Keynes & District Ladies League. The club hosted six-a-side tournaments and, in 2002 the Club managed to win both the Men’s and the Ladies’ six-a-side trophies for the only time in the Club’s history.
1994 saw a second team in the league starting and the Club joined the Oxfordshire Cricket Association League in 1997 where the 1st XI won their division at the first attempt. The 2nd XI has also subsequently won its division in 2002 and has won the Osberton Radiators Cup on three occasions in 2001, 2003 and 2007. The strength of the Club has meant that in 2009 a third team could be entered into this league.
Players and young fans at the Chairman’s XI v President’s XI match in June 2005.Back (l-r): Grant Bradbury, John Bradbury, Roy Thomas, James Frost-Gilbert, Duncan Hogston, Paul Robertson, Mick Doyle, Neil Hogston, Andy Griffin, Ian Keeping, Lee Hayes, Kevin Wyatt, Allan Martin, Bob Ridgway. Front (l-r): Katie Lee, Gary Lee, Norman Ellison (Chairman), Nora Reeve (President), Andrew Ellison, Simon Gale, Robby Taylor, Terry McStraw, Adam Armitage, Kevin Gilbert, George Frost-Gilbert, Darren and Evie Sirett, Chloe Ellison.
Since the 1990s, Great Horwood Cricket Club has had an active youth coaching set-up and now has thriving youth and junior sections.
The Cricket Club's own website includes up-to-date information about the current teams, fixtures and social events as well as more details about the club's history: www.greathorwoodcc.co.uk/aboutus.aspx